AT WILL STATE!!!!

Asked over 1 year ago - Atlanta, GA

Question: If the wc's doc send me back to work and I'm still in TERRIBLE pain. I'm fired in this "AT WILL" state, what's happens to my comp case ? This injury was sustained at their establishment.

1. Michael Henry Friedman

4

Best Answer

Answered . The short answer to your question is, nothing happens to your workers' compensation case. You still have it. I think the question you want answered is, with regard to your workers' compensation case, what are the consequences of them firing you. The answer to this question depends on other facts you have not given in your question, such as, (1) were you on work restrictions when the doctor sent you back to work; (2) were you under restrictions at the time you were fired; (3) did you return to work pursuant to a 240 job offer; (4) did your employer accommodate your restrictions (if you had any); (5) what is the reason you were given for your termination; (6) if the reason they gave you for your termination was unrelated to your work injury, do you think you were really fired because of your work injury; (7) if you think you were fired for your work injury, can you prove that you were (other than through your own belief); (8) have you looked for work since your termination? As you can see, there is much more information needed than you have provided to answer your question. If you would like to discuss this, please call me at 404-425-6235. Thanks and good luck.

2. Thomas L. Holder

5

Answered . We need a little more information to answer your question properly. Did the doctor send you back to work with restrictions? Then the company should make sure that you are not working outside of your restrictions, for example, not making you lift more than you can. If the doctor returned you to work without restrictions, the doctor is saying that you can do anything and you have a much more difficult situation. I would recommend that you get a second opinion from another doctor on the panel, to which you are entitled.

Your company can fire you but you could be eligible for benefits depending on your restrictions. You may have to start looking immediately for a job. Return to work issues are very tricky in Worker's Compensation. I would highly recommend that you discuss this situation with an attorney.

We are at 404-523-6100.

3. Brendon Shawn Rhodes

3

Answered . If you were fired because of your pain as a result of a work-related injury, the Employer should immediately start paying income benefits. You should speak with a workers' compensation attorney quickly. If you were fired for reasons unrelated to your injury, the situation is a little more complicated. Feel free to give me a call for a free consultation.

Sincerely,

B. Shawn Rhodes
    Powers and Rhodes,LLP
    478-227-5997

4. J. Thomas Smith Ph.D.

Pro

3

Answered . I agree with my colleagues. Your comp case still remains.

5. John M Connell

Pro

3

Answered . I agree with Mr Friedman that it shoulld not affect your benfits

6. Robert G. Rothstein

1

Answered . It should not affect your WC case.