At which point will I no longer be an international student?

Asked over 1 year ago - Geneseo, NY

I've been married to an American citizen for a year but I'm still on F-1 visa. We are going to apply for green card through marriage very soon, but I was wondering what happens to my F-1 visa status. My understanding is adjustment of status will change my F-1 status to green card holder but will I be an international student until I get actual green card or will my status change sooner in the process? Is that before or after the interview?

1. Alena Shautsova

Pro

Answered . I agree with my colleague. You should consult an experienced immigration attorney for this matter. You may schedule a consultation with an immigration lawyer in your area, my firm is handling these matters in New York. If you would like free legal updates on these immigration issues you may sign up for our newsletter at http://www.shautsova.com .

2. Michael Hugh Carlin

5

Best Answer

Answered . It appears that you are in F-1 student status at this time. If you are approved for permanent resident status based on the I-485 interview, then at the moment of approval, your status will change, or "adjust," to that of permanent resident.

3. Samuel Patrick Ouya Maina

3

Answered . You will cease to be an F1 when your application for permanent residence is approved and you will adjust status at that time.

4. J Charles Ferrari

2

Answered . As far as immigration is concerned, you are an international student as long as you are maintaining your F-1 status.