At which point will I no longer be an international student?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Geneseo, NY

I've been married to an American citizen for a year but I'm still on F-1 visa. We are going to apply for green card through marriage very soon, but I was wondering what happens to my F-1 visa status. My understanding is adjustment of status will change my F-1 status to green card holder but will I be an international student until I get actual green card or will my status change sooner in the process? Is that before or after the interview?

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Alena Shautsova


    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . I agree with my colleague. You should consult an experienced immigration attorney for this matter. You may schedule a consultation with an immigration lawyer in your area, my firm is handling these matters in New York. If you would like free legal updates on these immigration issues you may sign up for our newsletter at .

    Att. number 917-885-2261 This advice does not create an attorney client relationship. No specific legal advice may... more
  2. Michael Hugh Carlin

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . It appears that you are in F-1 student status at this time. If you are approved for permanent resident status based on the I-485 interview, then at the moment of approval, your status will change, or "adjust," to that of permanent resident.

    (734) 369-3131. This communication does not establish and attorney-client relationship with the Law Office of... more
  3. Samuel Patrick Ouya Maina

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You will cease to be an F1 when your application for permanent residence is approved and you will adjust status at that time.

    Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street,... more
  4. J Charles Ferrari

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . As far as immigration is concerned, you are an international student as long as you are maintaining your F-1 status.

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not... more

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

Adjustment of immigration status

When a person in the United States changes his or her immigration status to permanent resident, this is called "adjustment of status."

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,287 answers this week

3,067 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,287 answers this week

3,067 attorneys answering