At what point in the lawsuit do I have to make an improper service defense. Is there a point in the lawsuit when this is waived

Asked almost 2 years ago - West Palm Beach, FL

At what point in the lawsuit do I have to make an improper service defense. Is there a point in the lawsuit when this defense is waived.

I have been sued in a debt collection case. The Plaintiff served my baby sister, who was not a resident of my home. I had 20 days to file an answer. Which I did, but I now realize that, or at least i believe, that the Plaintiff did not properly serve me. Can i still make that argument. At what point do I lose the right to make that argument? What kind of motion with the court should I make. Thanks for any help.

1. Dennis Andrew Chen

Pro

2

1

Answered . By filing an answer or some other pleading in the case you have entered an appearance in the case and the improper service defense may not be available to you. That defense is best raised by an attorney before anything is filed in the case.

2. Dorota J. Trzeciecka

2

Answered . You needed to assert that defense of improper service before you filed an answer. By answering you waived your objection to improper service and subjected yourself to a jurisdiction of the court.

3. Andrea Beth Kast

Answered . I agree with my colleagues that by filing an answer, you have submitted yourself to the jurisdiction of the court. If your answer raised defenses to the allegations alleged in the complaint, then I would recommend hiring an attorney to appear at any future hearings with you so he/she can properly argue those defenses and advise you throughout the remainder of the case. Good luck to you.