At what age is child support terminated for a 19 year old that isnt in school and doesnt work?

Holtsville, NY |

i pay child support for 3 of my kids, my ex has residential custody, my son is 19 and isnt in college right now and doesnt work. do i have to keep paying child support for him?

You have to keep paying child support until the child is 21 or is declared emancipated.

A parent's liability for the support of his or her children is limited to children under the age of 21 years. In the absence of an express or implied contract, parents have no duty to support an adult child after he or she turns 21. If the child is under 21 years of age, and is married, or self-supporting, or in the military, the child is considered to be "emancipated" and the parents' support obligation ends. A child may also be considered "emancipated" if he or she is between 17 and 21, leaves the parents' home and refuses to obey the parents' reasonable commands.

Child custody topics