At what age if any in Missouri can a child decide which parent he or she wants to live with?

Asked about 4 years ago - Milan, MO

I have a 14 year old. He told me that he wants to live with his dad and he can do so because he is old enough to make the decision himself. Is this true?

1. Elliot S Stomel

Pro

Answered . Although I am not licensed in the State of Missouri, I will try to give you some guidance here. To my knowledge, there is no statute in any State which enumerates a specific age at which a child can chose which parent will have primary custody. While, yes, most Courts will take into consideration the preference of an older child, this is only one factor which will go into the Court's decision. The Court will typically look at the overall circumstances and base its decision upon what it believes is in the overall best interests of the child.