At what age does it constitute for age discrimination at work?

Asked over 2 years ago - Chicago, IL

Is there a certain age number that the law considers you to be old enough to be a victim of age discrimination? Or there is no such thing?

.

1. Answered . I am a California attorney and cannot give legal advice in your state. My comments are information only, based on federal law and general legal principles. YOUR STATE MAY HAVE ITS OWN LAWS THAT OFFER SIMILAR OR GREATER PROTECTION. If I mention your state’s laws, it only means I did a quick Internet search and found something that looked relevant. You MUST check with an attorney licensed in your state to learn your rights.

The federal Age Discrimination in Employment Act, 29 U.S.C. §§ 621 et seq. (ADEA), which includes the Older Workers Benefit Protection Act (OWBPA), protects employees who are 40 years or older from age discrimination at work or in applying for work. http://www.eeoc.gov/laws/types/age.cfm Most, or perhaps all, states that have their own age discrimination laws also protect people 40 years or older.