Skip to main content

At what age can you apply for citizenship? and how long does the process take?

Noel, MO |

im 17 at the moment and a resident.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


On your own? At 18. Estimated processing times are always as posted on the USCIS website.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.


You must be 18 years old or older at the time of filing your application. How long it takes depends on the processing center but should be between 3 and 5 months.


You may be able to apply for naturalization if you are at least 18 years of age and have been a permanent resident of the United
• For at least 5 years; or
• For at least 3 years during which time you have been, and
continue to be, married to and living in a marriage relationship with your U.S. citizen husband or wife.

Processing times are posted. Here is the link:

Law Offices of J Thomas Smith J.D., Ph.D 11500 Northwest Freeway, Suite 280 Houston, TX 77092 713-LAWYER-2 NOTE: Responses are for the education of the community at large and is not intended to be "legal advice." No attorney-client relationship is established by responses or comments.


Maybe you are a citizen already? Is either of your parents a citizen?

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.


18. Are you sure you are not a citizen already?

Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street, Suite 707 San Francisco, CA 94104

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer