At what age can a teenage child choose what parent, or grandparent, to live with?

Asked about 4 years ago - Seattle, WA

A teenager, 15 1/2 years old, does not want to live with her mother. The father is unknown, she has lived nearly her whole life with the grandparents, and that is where she wants to stay.

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Susan Lee Beecher

    Contributor Level 13

    Answered . The age at which the child can make this decision in Washington State is 18. The grandparents should seek the help of an attorney. There is no information given here about the mother and about why the daughter has been living with the grandparents all along, but depending on the facts of the case, the grandparents may be able to establish that third party custody is in the best interests of the child. There is a very high bar for this, because the rights of parents to raise their children are not permanently taken away lightly. But if the facts of the case are compelling, it is worth trying.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,611 answers this week

2,959 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,611 answers this week

2,959 attorneys answering