At what age can a child legally refuse to see a parent?

Asked over 5 years ago - Watertown, NY

My 15 year old son does not want to see his father, does he have to?

1. Ronald Anthony Sarno

Answered . Assuming his reluctance is not because of abuse and/or neglect, NY family courts are not too sympathetic to children refusing to see their non custodial parent. You should also realize that as custodial parent you can be charged with interference with parenting rights (visitation) and this can lead to loss of custody and a switch as to who pays child support.

You might find my legal guide on selecting and hiring a lawyer helpful.
    You might find my legal guide on Is it Legal? Is it Illegal? helpful.
    You might find my legal guide on the understanding the different court systems helpful.
    You might find my legal guide on legal terms used in litigation helpful.
    (Even if you are not filing a lawsuit this information can be useful).

You might find my legal guide on the courts in New York City helpful.

You might find Gabriel Cheong’s legal guide on the do and don’t of finances after a divorce helpful.
    You might find my legal guide on divorce in general and in NJ helpful.
    (Much of this information is valid for unmarrieds who have children together).

LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Mr. Sarno is licensed to practice law in NJ and NY. His response here is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/ client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter in question. Many times the questioner may leave out details which would make the reply unsuitable. Mr. Sarno strongly advises the questioner to confer with a local attorney about this issue.