At what age can a child in florida refuse to go for visitation?

Cape Coral, FL |

I heard that at age 13 they do not have to go if they do not want to,is this correct?

1. There is no "age at which a child can refuse" to visit with the other parent. If the question here is really "my child is refusing to go, what can I do about it?" Then I can suggest you open a dialogue with the child to find out why he/she is refusing. Is there something seriously wrong, is the 13 year old being stuborn or reacting to a rule that he/she doesn't like, etc.? If it is the latter, then it is your responsibility as a co-parent to set the expectation that the child is required to spend time with the other parent. If it is the former, then perhaps more formal steps should be taken such as enlisting the help of a counselor, a parent coordinator, or a judge. You should speak with an attorney regarding your particular circumstances given that there is likely already a court order in place that you would not want to be in violation of.

This response does not create an attorney-client relationship. Unless you are already a client of the Sosa Law Office, P.A., pursuant to an executed employment agreement, you should not use, interpret, or rely on this response as legal advice or opinion. Do not act on any information in this response without seeking legal advice. Melissa Sosa, Esq. melissa@sosalawoffice.com 813-681-5640.

Child custody topics