At what age can a child decide which parent he wants to live with?

Meadville, PA |

He grew up in pa for almost eleven years, when we divorced they moved away. He is now 12 and he wants to move back home with me so he can go to school here and he doesnt like living where they moved to or the situation.

There is no magic age for children to be the decision-maker in Pennsylvania's custody statute. The court will listen to a child's well-reasoned preference, but that is not the only factor the court must consider when determining custody.

If you believe that your children should reside with you, then you should contact a family law attorney in the county in which the custody order was filed. If you do not have a custody order, then contact a family law attorney in the county in which your children reside.

I have attached a link to the PA custody statute. Pages 5 & 6 list the factors the court must consider.

My comments are provided for general information purposes only. Nothing on this or associated pages, documents, comments, answers, emails, or other communications through Avvo should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. The information on this website is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing of this information does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. Lawyers are licensed to practice on a state by state basis; do not act on information contained on this website without first speaking to an attorney licensed to practice in your state.

Child custody topics

Recommended articles about Child custody