At what age can a child decide which parent he wants to live with?

Asked about 2 years ago - Meadville, PA

He grew up in pa for almost eleven years, when we divorced they moved away. He is now 12 and he wants to move back home with me so he can go to school here and he doesnt like living where they moved to or the situation.

1. Catharine I. Roland

Answered . There is no magic age for children to be the decision-maker in Pennsylvania's custody statute. The court will listen to a child's well-reasoned preference, but that is not the only factor the court must consider when determining custody.

If you believe that your children should reside with you, then you should contact a family law attorney in the county in which the custody order was filed. If you do not have a custody order, then contact a family law attorney in the county in which your children reside.

I have attached a link to the PA custody statute. Pages 5 & 6 list the factors the court must consider.