At the risk of being laughed at, how long do I need to wait to be considered for a mortgage refi after having a modification?

I'm in CA and my mortgage is held by Chase. My aim is to lower the interest rate, 6.5%, and avoid the balloon payment, thought it's many, many years down the road of $255,000. I would also like to push it to a 40 year mortgage to lower payments. Could this be a possibility at some point?

This is clearly a question for your lender. Lenders all have different policies and practices regarding their mortgage plans, etc...

Yes, this could be a possibility at any point in time. All you have to do is ask your lender (or a different lender who is willing to refi).

The information presented here is general in nature and is not intended, nor should be construed, as legal advice. This posting does not create any attorney-client relationship with the author (who is only admitted to practice law in the State of California). For specific advice about your particular situation, consult your own attorney.

Recommended articles about Real estate