At an arraignment, I am going to enter a NOT GUILTY PLEA, and wave my right to a speedy trail, what happens next?

Orlando, FL |

Crimial sex charges over 12 years ago.

1. Sex charges are very serious. You face prison as sell as being classified as a sex offender depending on the offense. You should hire an attorney ASAP. You should also not waive speedy trial till you consult an attorney.

2. Your attorney will investigate and begin contesting the charges on your behalf.

John S. Riordan, Esq., RIORDAN & HERMAN, PL., West Palm Beach, FL, (561) 650-8291. Mr. Riordan is a former Palm Beach County Prosecutor and an experienced criminal defense lawyer handling cases in both State and Federal Courts throughout Florida. The answer provided is for educational purposes only. It does not constitute legal advice or create an attorney-client relationship. You should consult an attorney for legal advice regarding the facts of your specific case and designed to help you with your personal needs.

3. You should not waive your right to a speedy trial at this point. This is Avery serious charge with possible life long consequences. You should hire an attorney who is experienced in these types of cases who can make sure your rights are protected and your defenses researched. You may set up a free consultation at my office if you wish.

4. Do not waive speedy trial without consulting a lawyer! Sex charges are very very serious and impact the rest of your life!

Please be advised that answering your questions does not establish an attorney-client relationship with myself or my firm. We would be more than happy to set up a free consultation if you call us at 407-228-3838 and specifically mention AVVO or email me at bill@thelawman.net and put AVVO in the subject line.

5. I agree with my colleagues, do not waive your right to speedy trial. This is a constitutionally established right for all criminal defendants and you should not do anything to waive it until first getting an attorney. This is very serious.

I have been licensed to practice in the State of Oregon since 1990. I am not offering legal advice regarding your question, only general information regarding the law. You are not my client nor am I your attorney unless we sign a retainer agreement.

6. By entering a plea of not guilty at arraignment, an accused could waive important rights to attack deficiencies in the government's charging document. A well-qualified lawyer would not enter any plea to the merits (even a 'not guilty' plea) at arraignment without first examining the charging document or asking the court for an extension of time within which to enter a not guilty plea. Nor should you allow any lawyer at your arraignment do so on your behalf without first consulting with them about the facts of your case. You should reconsider the advice already given by lawyers here and consult a criminal defense lawyer before your arraignment - even if it is a holiday.