At age 18 can I sue my dad for back child support?

There is a court order that my father has to pay child support and he has but there is still a lot in back child support. I am from New Jersey. What can I do?

Berkeley Heights, NJ -

David Perry Davis

David Perry Davis

Child Support Lawyer - Pennington, NJ

I agree with the other answer. The CS was intended as a contribution toward expenses your mom was paying on your behalf - a portion of the rent or mortgage, food, utilities, transportation, etc.

Your mom would have to file the motion, but the court would enforce the CS order and make him pay arrears.

Kenneth A White

Kenneth A White

Family Law Attorney - Edison, NJ

This is really a matter for the custodial parent (i.e. your mother) to pursue on your behalf. Absent her being unavailable, you really should leave it to her to pursue as she is a party to the litigation (within which the child support obligation was set) and you are not.

Dean P Murray

Dean P Murray

Family Law Attorney - Hoboken, NJ

I agree with both Kenneth and David. Leave it to your mom to enforce the support award.

Ronald Glenn Lieberman

Ronald Glenn Lieberman

Family Law Attorney - Haddonfield, NJ

The mother must enforce it.

Related Advice