At age 13 can a child decide who they want to live with in indiana including grandparents

Asked about 4 years ago - Richmond, IN

my granddaughter wants to live with me (the grandmother) she is 13. is she of age to decide that and what is protocol on how to do this

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Kenneth V. Zichi

    Contributor Level 16

    Answered . Unless a minor has been 'emancipated' by a court, they are not 'of age' to make decisions about things like who they live with.

    If there is a family court case open (for example, if there has been a paternity case or divorce case filed and custody has been established) then that Court ultimately decides custody, and often can award custody to a third party such as grandparents.

    If there is a guardianship proceeding filed, then the Probate Court can decide where a child lives, but there needs to be grounds for a guardianship (such as for example, abuse or neglect of the child, or incapacity of the parent to care for the child because of illness or death).

    The SHORT answer is although the Courts often give consideration to what the child wants, the CHILD never gets to 'make the decision' concerning where and with who she lives.

    I urge you to consult with a local attorney so you can explore what your best course of action is in order to insure your granddaughter's best interests are met.

Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

  • 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now

Can't find what you're looking for?

Ask span5@2x

Ask a question on our public forum.

Ask a lawyer
Instant span6@2x

Have an attorney contact you privately.

Right now.

Icon lock@2x
Secure conversation. Your details remain between you and your attorney.
Icon clock@2x
Get an answer guaranteed. Be assured that a lawyer will contact you to help with your legal issue.
Start your session now