At a Grand Jury, the DA says to the complaining witness that she has called her lawyer to say a target will not be appearing.

Amarillo, TX |

Is this proper, it was said in front of jurors? The lawyer she contacted was also a witness in this particular case and would be testifying the same day.

Grand Juries are very "secretive" but also have very lax rules as the normal evidential rules do not apply. To me your question seems to mean the DA told the complaining witness that one of the suspects or maybe the suspect of the Grand Jury is not appearing today or maybe just won't be present while she is testifying. If that's the case there's nothing wrong with giving a witness some details or maybe calming them down letting them know a suspect or the suspect isn't going to be there.

2. You said, in your comment to another answerer "DA called a third party outside the grand jury room and told them a target of the grand jury would not be appearing ."

The 3rd party could have been:

1. Her boss
    2. An attorney who needed to serve the target in person
    3. The witness' attorney who needed to be there to help
    4 Her husband to let him know she will not be home late -- because the lengthy testimony of the target would not be occurring...

5. Many more possibilities.

Curt Harrington Patent & Tax Law Attorney Certified Tax Specialist by the California Board of Legal Specialization PATENTAX.COM This communication is general information and not legal advice, and does not create an attorney-client relationship. This communication should not be relied upon as any type of legal advice. Please note that no attorney-client relationship exists between the sender and the recipient of this message in the absence of either (1) a signed fee contract and (2) remission of an agreed-upon retainer. Absent such an agreement and retainer, I am not engaged by you as an attorney, nor is any other member of my law firm.

3. Were you on the Grand Jury? I am interested in your perspective so I can properly answer this.