At 17 I was charged with petty theft I'm now 18 I'm in the probation period will this show on a job backround check ?

Kingston, NY |

At radio shack the guy asked if I had any felonys and guaranteed a backround check
The arrest happened in manhattan ny I now live in kingston

1. Petit Larceny is a misdemeanor but if the case is not sealed it will show up on a background check. There are ways to get it sealed sooner assuming you plead to a non-crime.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 16 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

2. Unless you got juvenile offender treatment, this will most definitely show up on a background check. You should contact a lawyer to get a Certificate of Relief from Disabilities, which will help you when looking for a job.

3. It depends on the depth of the background check.

This answer does not constitute legal advice and you should contact an attorney to confirm or research further any statements made in this answer. Any statements of fact or law I have made in this answer pertain solely to New York State and should not be relied upon in any way in any other jurisdiction. Additionally, we also encourage you to reach out to us via Twitter (https://twitter.com/#!/WhiteRoseMarks) or Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/WhiteRoseMarks) if you have follow up questions as we do not monitor questions after providing an initial answer.

Juvenile law topics