Asylum interview sample

Seattle, WA |
Filed under: Political asylum

I will be interview by next week based on political asylum I just to know some sample question what IO asking

The questions will revolve around why you applied for asylum, why you fear returning, what would happen if you returned... Hire an attorney to review your case so you can get a specific list of questions you can expect at the interview.

Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 s.ouya@mainalaw.com Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street, Suite 707 San Francisco, CA 94104

I agree with my colleague. Be clear on the facts of why you fear returning to your country and the government cannot protect you.

The best thing would be to have an attorney accompany you to the interview. Good luck.

[This answer is for general purposes only; it does not constitute advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.]

Asylum is not easy to get if your case is not well prepared. I would work with an attorney before your interivew. If you are currently out of status you will be placed in deportation proceedings if you are not granted asylum by the officer. (You will have another chance to seek asylum in court but that will be harder).

The officer will ask you about why you are applying for asylum. They will ask if you have ever been harmed by the government or by people the government can not or will not control. They will ask the reason you were harmed or why you fear you will be harmed. If you were invovled in politics they will ask you about your involvment and wil ask about important dates and names and about documents you submitted or any proof you have about your claim. On my website I have a page about preparing for the asylum interview. Just reading my website is likely not enough preperation, I would encourage you to work with an attorney.

http://www.olivielaw.com/immigration-resources/legal-guides/prepare-asylum-interview/

Andre Olivie, Esq.
Asylum Attorney in Seattle
(206) 724-1940
www.olivielaw.com

Legal disclaimer: This answer is offered for informational purposes only. It is not offered as, and does not constitute, legal advice. Do not rely on this advice without speaking to an immigration attorney in detail about your case. This message does not create an attorney-client relationship.

Thank you Mr.Andre I already file I 589 and I received acknowledge received and I did biometric finger print . as I said earlier just waiting interview do you think it will be problem .and you mention out of status what does mean ?

I strongly recommend you meet with an attorney who is experienced with asylum cases. It isn't only a matter of practicing outloud explaining why you need asylum, although that's important, you really need to have someone review the statements and evidence you submitted with the application, and work with you to obtain evidence including articles and reports that would justify your fear. Also know that your fear must be based on one or more of five grounds. This stage of the process is very important in part because if the asylum officer doesn't grant your case, and you need to pursue it in removal proceedings, you must use the same application previously filed. Often after reviewing the details with a qualified attorney, the case is fleshed out. Then the governent says, 'funny you didn't mention that at the interview, so you must be making it up.' Which also does raise the very important point of not ever saying something that isn't true. The consequences are severe.

This reply is intended only as general information and does not constitute legal advice in any particular case. This reply does not create an attorney/client relationship.