Asylum decision time

San Diego, CA |
Filed under: Political asylum

My case has been pending for more than 7 months now based on political.
When I went into lot of forums, I found out that, if someone is denied/referred or issued NOID, it happens within 2-4 weeks but if the case goes pending for many months, it generally means approval pending background checks. How true is this information? It might not be 100% accurate but based on your experiences, to what extent is this information relevant? I am really worried as it has been a while so if this information is even little relevant then I can wait happily and peacefully.

Thank You

I meant after the interview stage not waiting for the interview.

1. Not true. Most asylum cases now take 9-12 months to reach the interview stage. Please see

Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

2. It is not true at all. There is no guarantee a case will be approved or denied. You need to wait until you receive a final decision.

The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter. No recipients of content from this answer, clients or otherwise, should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any content included in the answer without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from a licensed attorney. Provision of information on this website does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and The Law Offices of Grinberg & Segal, P.L.L.C., nor is it intended to do so.