Skip to main content


Bronx, NY |

i have visit my home country 4 times i have a as 7 green card and i am a derivative not principal applicant is any problem for my natyralization proccess and why my green card is as 7 and no as 8 as my younger brother i was 21 when i got it
thank you again

Attorney Answers 3


I am not certain I understand your question. If you are saying that you obtained lawful permanent residence through asylum, but that you were not the principal applicant, then you should not have a problem for having traveled to your country. Either way, you should consult an immigration attorney before applying to make certain that you are eligible and will not have any trouble.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

2 lawyers agree


As set forth in the minutes of the ASYLUM HQ/NGO LIAISON MEETING on March 6, 2007, USCIS has stated:

"Derivative asylees are permitted to travel to the principal’s country of persecution. Derivative asylees have not been granted asylum on their individual cases so CIS would not seek to terminate their asylum status upon such travel. However, normal procedures would still have CBP questioning the derivative asylees when they re-entered the United States."

If you appreciate the time spent preparing this answer, kindly consider marking it BEST ANSWER or HELPFUL. Also, please be sure to read my disclaimer below. Good luck to you.

Dean P. Murray
The Murray Law Firm
560 Sylvan Avenue
Englewood Cliffs, NJ 07632
T: (201)875-2600
F: (201)549-8700

Mr. Murray's response is NOT legal advice and does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT rely on this response. Mr. Murray's response was generated without conducting a full inquiry as would occur during a face to face attorney-client consultation. It is likely that the response above may be made less accurate, or become entirely inaccurate, as you, i.e. the questioner, disclose additional facts that should only be discussed during a private consultation with an attorney. I strongly recommend that you consult an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state (or, in the case of immigration law, and attorney in ANY state), whereupon all relevant facts will be discussed. All responses posted by Mr. Murray on are intended as general information for the education of the public, and not for any specific individual.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


I agree with my colleagues - if you are the derivative applicant you should not have a problem with DHS if you return to your home country.

Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street, Suite 707 San Francisco, CA 94104

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics