Asylum (How long should I wait,please help?)

Asked over 1 year ago - Houston, TX

Asylum Recommended Approval

I got recommended approval for my asylum case in 2012 from Houston asylum office and I have been waiting for almost 11 months to get final answer from asylum office. I don't have any idea how long more I have to wait and it is bothering me because I cant have any long plan for my life. My attorney 2 weeks ago told me there is still a hold on my case for clearance check. I very appreciate your advice.

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Carl Michael Shusterman


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . This is very frustrating. Consider filing for a Writ of Mandamus in Federal Court to compel the USCIS to act immediately.

    (213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration... more
  2. Cynthia Beth Rosenberg

    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . Your attorney knows your case best. However, you may want to consider a Congressional inquiry or inquiry through the USCIS Ombudsman office. Sometimes, a little pressure helps. Talk to your attorney first

    Under the guidelines set by AVVO, this response is general information only and not specific legal advice, and no... more
  3. Alice Antonovsky

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . It happens when the background check on you is incomplete. Speak to your attorney, he/she is the best person to give you advice on this and follow up with local Asylum office.

    The answers offered here are purely informational and do not create an attorney-client relationship. For more... more
  4. Haroen Calehr


    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . As attorney Shusterman pointed out a Mandamus Action in federal court is what I also usually use for my clients with success most of the time resulting in the case approval usually within 4-6 months after the filing of the lawsuit in federal court (Southern District of Texas Houston Division). Let me know if you need help. The Ombudsman is overworked and usually soliciting his help is futile. Good luck.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

32,296 answers this week

3,354 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

32,296 answers this week

3,354 attorneys answering