Asylum. How can I get my money?

Asked 6 months ago - Fremont, CA

Asylum. I had a lawyer for my asylum case referred to the court and I did n't like him so I hired a different lawyer on August 2013. He did not file a motion to change the attorney till February 2014. I told him to do it faster but he was taking it easy and before changing the attorney on record he got sick and he has not responded to me since. How can I get my money back? Please help me out. I have paid him in full. If it was 500-1000 I would forget about that money but its a lot. I need a way in which I can get a money back so that I can hire a different lawyer. Can I file a case in the court? I live in Fremont. Can I file a case in Fremont? THe lawyer I paid in full in registered in Texas but practices law in California. Thanks in advance.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. John Qumars Khosravi

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Start by filling a claim against him to the Texas state Bar. Make sure to have a copy of your retainer agreement and copies of communications you had with that attorney.

    The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed... more
  2. Daniel Patrick Hanlon

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You may have to file a Complaint with the State Bar in Texas and/or California if the lawyer has failed to respond to a demand for a return of unearned fees.

    Please note that this posting does not constitute legal advice or create any attorney-client relationship with the... more
  3. Morrie Pour Nourian

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . First look at your contract.
    Second even if you file a complaint with the bar they can force the attorney to refund any money.
    Third he is not and can not on his own to withdraw from your representation while your case is in court. He needs a judge to allow that.
    Fourth if you have a new lawyer then that's the one who must file appearance with court first then ask the judge to allow substitution.
    Fifth if you must then you can file a suite with small claims court where you are to see if a judge will grant you any relief and mKe the attorney to refund.

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.


Asylum is a form of protection offered to people who fear persecution in their home country and are in the United States or an entry port.

George Tenreiro

The Basics on Applying For Asylum

The asylum process requires thoughtful analysis, together with supplementary materials that reinforce the strength and credibility of one’s application. Applicants should work with an... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,544 answers this week

3,169 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,544 answers this week

3,169 attorneys answering