Association suing for unpaid dues

Asked about 1 year ago - Chicago, IL

My association is suing me for unpaid association dues and is seeking to terminate my rights to possession of the unit. If that is granted do I still owe the debt?

1. Gerald William Napleton

2

Answered . It depends on the language of the Condo Declaration.

2. David K. Wolkowitz

1

Answered . An association whose bylaws would not require you to pay the debt would be putting it's financial stability at risk. Most likely, you will still be liable for the debt. An attorney could review the bylaws and any contracts associate with the condo to determine what you might owe.

3. Judy A. Goldstein

Answered . You need to review all the terms and provisions of your bylaws. Go speak to an attorney to learn your options and the best way to handle this lawsuit.

4. Joseph Andrew Brabender IV

Pro

Answered . Though I agree with attorney Napleton that the answer to your question depends on the association's governing documents, it is extremely common for associations to have the right to take possession of a unit and rent it out to cover unpaid association dues.

In my experience associations do not take possession until you are quite far behind on your dues and it is unlikely that the rent generated will ever get you caught up on your debt. You will also likely be responsible for the attorneys fees incurred by the association.

Are you currently in foreclosure? Is this an investment property or your home?

Losing possession of your condo is pretty serious and you should consult with an attorney to try to avoid losing the unit and having your debt spiral out of control.