Asset protection recovery letter?

Asked about 2 years ago - Richmond, IN

I received a letter from a Walmart today that I have never been to with my name on it.
It states the following
To Whom It May Concern,
The incident in which you were involved may have implications beyond criminal charges. In addition to any criminal penalties, Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. is allowed by state statute to recover civil remedies as a result of this incident

If applicable, The Law Offices of Michael Ira Asen, P.C. will contact you on behalf of Walmart Stores, Inc
You must respond promptly to all correspondence you receive from Wal-Mart stores, Inc., or The Law Offices of Michael Ira Asen, P.C.
Please allow 14 business days to complete processing of this incident, at which time you may contact our office at (800)236.7428, Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00p.m. Central Standard T

Additional information

"Central Standard Time, for assistance
assest protection recovery walmart stores, INC

IN bold letters
{This notification is not a relase from criminal prosecution nor does it negate trespass warnings issued by Wal-mart Stores, Inc.

This letter came from a walmart thats 100 and some miles away.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. James Allen Hanson

    Contributor Level 11

    Answered . I agree with my colleague.
    I would add that if you have not had any adverse dealings with Walmart (particularly shoplifting), you may consider calling the attorney mentioned in the letter to inform them of the mistake.
    Be aware that talking to an adverse attorney without an attorney of your own can be dangerous, so you should strongly consider having a local attorney make this call for you.
    However, not making the call could leave the other attorney to continue pursuing a claim against you and the next paper you receive could be served to you by a Sheriff Deputy.

  2. Raphael Samuel Moore

    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . Sounds like a letter they send to shoplifters. If you "google" the number 800-236-7428 you will find many instances involving this. If it is not you, they may have an error in your social security number or driver license number, which they got from the true defendant.

    If you need representation, call us at (530) 758-8317 or email Our replies to Avvo... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

17,126 answers this week

2,342 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

17,126 answers this week

2,342 attorneys answering