Asking for rent abatement due to repossession and conversion of heated garage (3 yrs ago) that was included in the lease.

Oakland, CA |

Landlord promised to build, buy and install a storage room for me, it has been 3 yrs now, I even accepted his rent increase based on that promise. Two months after rent increase, he said he's thinking about transforming the whole duplex into a house for him, and during another attempt, he said he doesn't want to end up with 2 storage rooms in his backyard if I ever leave. By the way, he installed a big shed for himself in the backyard. There was no permit showing anywhere during transformations. Thinking of asking for rent abatement since he took the garage, canceling the rent increase, and pain and suffering have to drag my stuff upstairs for 3 yrs with an huge abdomen hernia (awaiting surgery) and turning my minivan and one room into storage. Any ideas? Thank you very much.

On the lease there is a check mark on what's included in the rent, like heat, garage... Hot water is excluded. Plus this lease was originaly drawn by a previous owner.

Take your lease agreement to a local landlord tenant attorney for a consultation. Without seeing the terms of the lease, no one on AVVO could answer your question.

Recommended articles about Real estate