Asking for asylum green card more than one year after entering the US?

New York, NY |

I heard that if someone wants a green card through asylum, they have to ask during their first year after coming to the US? If that's right, then what happens to the person who comes to the US while everything is fine in their home country? But then a year and a half later, a revolution occurs and the new leaders say they will kill that person. Because more than one year has passed, is this person unable to get an asylum green card, or is there an exception to the one year rule? Thanks.

Generally, there's a one year requirement to file for asylum after entering the country. However, you are correct, there is an exception to the one year requirement, if there' a change in country conditions, such as a revolution that you are referencing. Therefore, you should consult with experienced immigration attorney about your case.

Contact immigration attorney Gintare Grigaite, Esq. at 646-407-2331. Answers on AVVO do not constitute legal advice and do not form attorney-client relationship. Always consult an attorney for a legal advice.

Gintare Grigaite

Gintare Grigaite

You may contact me at the phone number provided if you want to speak about your case.

There are some narrow exceptions to the one year rule.

You need to retain an experienced immigration lawyer, whether myself or one of my colleagues, to review all the facts, advise you, and handle the case.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

There are some exceptions and somethign called witholding that has a higher standard contact a lawyer Asylum or witholding are not things to try and get yourself.

http://www.azduifirm.com/law/immigration/

There are exceptions to the one year deadline for changed country conditions. If you are thinking of applying for asylum you need to retain an attorney. 87% of asylum applications filed without an attorney are denied. My firm handles asylum in NYC.
Regards,
Nick Misiti
Misiti Global
212 537 4407

Legal disclaimer: The statement above is general in nature, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Recommended articles about Immigration