Skip to main content

Aside from being morally wrong, is it illegal to lie about having hiv (i'm NOT referring to having hiv and not telling,)

Miami, FL |

In other words, if a male wanted to get back at an ex girlfriend and called her and said " by the way i have hiv" but he actually DOES NOT have hiv. He is just saying this to get her worried, is that criminal in any way and how would it be proven he even said that if it was?

Attorney Answers 5

  1. I don't think his actions would or could be pursued criminally by a prosecutor.

    All information provided is for informational and educational purposes only and is not intended as legal advice. No attorney client relationship has been formed nor should one be inferred. Our office only represents plaintiffs in personal injury matters such as wrongful death, liquor liability accidents, dram shop cases, traumatic brain injuries, spinal cord injuries and other catastrophic injuries.

  2. Deliberately spreading a disease of any sort is clearly criminal. No ifs, ands or buts. However, that doesn't seem to be the question.

    There have been some proposed laws to specifically make it illegal to fail to warn someone that you are exposing them or have exposed them. More details is needed

    There are civil remedies, too. Damages. Emotional distress

  3. This is certainly not criminal. What it does describe the intentional infliction of emotional distress which is sometimes called "outrage." But without significant damages, there is no case to pursue.

    This is a summary based on incomplete facts. You should not rely on it as legal advise. No attorney-client relationship is intended to be formed.

  4. Don't do it! You may want to have her suffer but you might result in having a lawsuit against you for damages if she gets sick from what you've told her.
    My advice is simply to move on.
    Robert D Shapiro

    The answers given are limited to the facts as given and presumed by the answer itself. Without seeing actual written documentation or having a conference to more fully explore the issues, this short answer has only limited application. Make sure to seek legal counsel and provide all documentation to get assistance in making informed legal choices., 305 373-1099.

  5. Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves. -Confucius

Lawsuits and disputes topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics