As the seller of a property, can I cancel or not extend a contract for sale if the reason for the extensions is my fault?

Asked about 2 years ago - Walnut Creek, CA

I am a real estate seller and have a contract to sell my property to a buyer in escrow. We have had many extensions due to an easement concern that still isn't resolved. We are currently out of contract because I didn't sign an additional extension. I would like to cancel the sale at this point. Can I do that and if I do what are the legal concerns? Can the buyer force me to sell it to them when the easement issue is cleared up?

1. Steven Jerome Willock

Answered . I agree with Mr. Millar. The answer to your question depends upon the terms of the contract. However, assuming you are "out of contract because [you] didn't sign an additional extension", the sale may already be cancelled. You should have a local attorney review your contract.

2. Michael T Millar

Pro

Answered . The answer likely depends on the language of the contract.

Most realtor form contracts contain language permitting one to cancel if the land cannot be conveyed with "marketable title". An easement likely means that title is not marketable (some attorneys confuse insurable title with marketable title - they are two different concepts). There also may language regarding easements or other "encumbrances".