As someone hiring people, is it okay for me to discuss offer letters with people who are not in the hiring process?

Glencoe, IL |

I would think it would just be business, but I'd like some assurances before I do, and make sure the hiring process is legal.

.

1. The term "people who are not in the hiring process" seems overbroad. Who are these people?

Business competitors? .
    Former employers of prospective hire?
    Friends and family of prospective hire?

What is the goal of discussing these offer letters for people not in the hiring process? The discussion itself may have unexpected impact on the hiring process, so I doubt that assurances could be given.

Some companies refrain from giving offer letters at all.

The information provided here should not be construed to be formal legal advice. The provision of this general advice does not create a lawyer-client relationship. Persons with legal questions are encouraged to seek independent counsel for advice regarding their individual legal issues.

2. Obviously, I can't (and no one should) assure you of anything without a personal consultation so all the facts can be ascertained. Generally, though, if you are sharing the info with other employees of the company, even if they are not in the hiring process, there shouldn't be a problem. Of course, if there is any private or medical related information involved, I would be very careful about sharing. Also, as a practical matter, sharing salary or other information could result in loose lips. Probably best to keep the info close to the vest.

If you are concerned, you should contact an employment lawyer. Most of us will provide a free consultation. Best of luck.

This answer is provided for informational purposes only and should not be relied on as legal advice. You should be aware that no attorney-client relationship is established through this answer and none will be established without a personal consultation and the signing of an engagement agreement.

Professional ethics topics