As caregiver to my uncle can I get paid from him while he is either in the hospital or a rehab, I'm still taking care of him?

Asked about 1 year ago - Boynton Beach, FL

are there any laws governoring this type of situation? please advise

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Steven M Zelinger


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . It is possible to have a caregiver agreement - does this person have capacity? Depending on the situation the caregiver agreement can be done along with his estate planning. See a lawyer about the right way to set this up.

    This is not legal advice nor intended to create an attorney-client relationship. The information provided here is... more
  2. Pamela Thea Higer Polani

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Family caregiver situations, as you intuitively seem to understand, can raise many questions about undue influence and the like, concerning the infirmed. If your uncle has mental capacity, my law firm will actually travel to him, whether he is recovering in a hospital or rehab, to discuss these issues directly with him. If he the mental capacity to do so, he should sign an agreement to reimburse you and/or pay you for your caregiving service. However, if should not have capacity then whoever (if he directed it so prior, which I highly recommend) does have power to make these decisions, should acknowledge your services in writing accordingly in that capacity. If your uncle should die before either situation can take place then you can make a claim for the value of compensation against his estate, if probate is opened. However, without written acknowledgment on his part or his behalf through his appointed representative, you will likely have to take many more steps to have your claim deemed valid. Hope this helps and good luck!

    I may be further reached by email ( or through my website ( more
  3. Kelly Scott Davis


    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . To be effective, personal care agreements generally need to be in writing and can only address future, not past, care. You uncle, or you if you are his attorney-in-fact under a valid POA, need to meet with an elder law attorney who is experienced in handling Medicaid. You can use the AVVO Find a Lawyer search tool to locate an elder law attorney in your area or go to the website of the National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys at

    Responses provided on Avvo are for general informational purposes only, based upon the limited information that is... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,379 answers this week

3,343 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,379 answers this week

3,343 attorneys answering