As an immigrant, do I have to notify USCIS if I'm moving to a different apartment in the same building?

Burien, WA |

We're just moving one floor down, and am wondering if we need to still submit notification.

.

Yes.

The information is for general information purposes only. Nothing stated above should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation.

Curtis Frederic Pierce

Curtis Frederic Pierce

Agreed.

Kim-Khanh Thi Van

Kim-Khanh Thi Van

I agree. It is crucial that you inform USCIS of your current address ASAP. If you are an immigrant and moved residence, change your address online at USCIS.gov or us form AR -11. If you are a sponsor who moved residence, use form I-865. Good luck!

Yes, submit an AR-11. You can do it online www.uscis.gov

Neil I Fleischer (513) 977-4209 www.immigrate2usa.com Note: Neil Fleischer is an attorney licensed in the State of Ohio The below answer is provided for informational use only. One should not act or refrain to act solely based on the information provided. No attorney/client relationship is created unless an Agreement is signed by the attorney and the client. Best regards, Neil Neil I Fleischer The Fleischer Law Firm, LLC 917 Main Street Cincinnati, Ohio 45202-1314 Direct telephone: 513 977 4209 nfleischer@immigrate2usa.com Enjoy our Blog at http://immigrate2usa.blogspot.com/

Curtis Frederic Pierce

Curtis Frederic Pierce

Agreed.

Lisa Michelle Anderson

Lisa Michelle Anderson

In addition to filing the change of address, be sure you receive a written confirmation from USCIS. You may need proof that you filed it at some point.

Will your mail find its way "one floor down"? What if you get an important notice from the immigration services?

The statutes specify that aliens must notify the government of permanent changes of address. Failing to comply with this requirement is a basis for deportation from the US. If the government wants an alien out of the US, the government will throw this charge in with all the other charges.

Most persons can file the AR-11 online for free at www.uscis.gov . Filing the form takes less than five minutes if you have the information ready. Why would you want to give the government a reason to deport you?

Uzoamaka Angela Akpele

Uzoamaka Angela Akpele

You do need to notify the government ANYTIME your address changes. Whenever you do so, be sure to use a method that gives you delivery confirmation and save your delivery confirmation. It does happen some times that the government mistakenly sends letters to the wrong address. If you present your delivery confirmation you will be able to reverse any negative consequences caused by the government's mistake.

Curtis Frederic Pierce

Curtis Frederic Pierce

Agreed.

It is very important that you notify the government of any address change. It is quite simple to notify them. Go to USCIS.gov. Select forms on the top left and it should be the first form available. Simply fill out and send. Same building or not, if the unit is numbered different from your previous unit (Unit A to Unit B for example) then you will need to submit a change of address form.