Skip to main content

As an H1B holder, can I get married to my fiance on a tourist visa in the US?

Pittsburgh, PA |
Filed under: Family law

I am currently on H1B visa and my employer initiated the permanent residency process, yet adjustment of status is not applied for. I would like to bring my fiance on a tourist visa to US, get married to her at my country's embassy and later send her back to my home country so that she can apply for an H4 visa. After the visa is granted, she will come to USA and we will apply for the adjustment of status. Is this plan legally OK?

Attorney Answers 1


What about the alternative option, where YOU go back to the home country, get married there. Then after you return, you apply for H-4 for her via consular processing, she comes over? I don't want to tell you how to do things, but is it possible that if you're married in home country more of your family and relatives can witness the wedding?

This post is not legal advice, and does not create a lawyer-client relationship.

Mark as helpful

Family law topics

Recommended articles about Family law

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics