Skip to main content

As an asylee I understand I've authorization to work without an EAD.What can I do if my foreign passport is expired?

Larkspur, CA |

I'm applying with my asylee status in form I-94 but the passport is expired.Can I still get employed if I show my form I-94 approving my asylee status with my passport expired?
Can I ask for 90 days to renew my passport or anything similar? Thank You

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Best answer

    You already have the required documents to be employed, however having a valid, current, government issued identification such as an EAD is a very good idea. It is often a bad idea for an asylee to renew their passport, since you are filing that request with the government which you contend, intends to persecute you.

    The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.

  2. Yes, there is no need to renew your passport. After all, this is the passport of the country where you would be persecuted if you returned.

    Please click the link below for additional information.

    Carl Shusterman, Esq.
    Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
    Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
    Subscribe to our Free Immigration Newsletter
    600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
    Los Angeles, CA 90017
    (213) 394-4554 x0
    Web: (English) (Spanish)

    (213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

  3. Here's a cut and paste regarding completing the I-9.

    neither refugees nor asylees are required to present an
    Employment Authorization Document (Form I-766) to
    meet Form I-9 requirements. Both refugees and asylees
    may also present other documents that are acceptable for
    Form I-9, such as Form I-94/I-94A indicating refugee
    or asylee status. List B and List C combinations, such as
    a State-issued driver’s license and an unrestricted Social
    Security card, may also be presented by both.

Employment topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics