As an Active duty member that is soon to be medically discharged from the Air Force, can i sue for pain and suffering?

Asked 6 months ago - Colorado Springs, CO

I have had 3 seperate injuries to my lower back while on active duty with the Air Force. I am currently undergoing a Medical eval Board that will more then likely retire me from the military. When they determine my disability % ongoing pain is not allowed to be factored into their equation. Due to my pain not being taken into account, and im looking at the possibility of being in pain for the rest of my life, I wonder if the military can be sue'd for that pain and suffering. 1st injury, tore most of the muscle tendons in my lower back while pushing an engine lift kit for an aircraft. 2nd injury, rear-ended in a car accident on base. 3rd injury hopped down from ontop a desk to the floor. resulting overall injury, 1 hernated disc, 3 bulging discs, straightening spine.

1. Christopher Daniel Leroi

3

Answered . No, you do not have a viable lawsuit against the military.

2. Stephen Clark Harkess

2

Answered . The short answer to your question is No. You will not be able to successfully sue the military for your injury. Disability benefits are your sole recourse.

3. David Ian Schoen

Pro

3

Answered . There is no direct personal injury claim against the military. Accordingly, there is no damages for pain and suffering recoverable.

4. Stephen M. Young

1

Answered . Thank you for your service. As others have pointed out you will not have a claim agains the military. However, should you feel you are in continuous pain and you have medical records to substantiate your injuries, you may be able to apply for social security disability. If I was in your shoes, I would contact a lawyer that specializes or is familiar with the process to help you through the process (you can apply yourself, but nearly 70% of claims are denied and an attorney can help with the appeals process). Best of luck to you!