As a US Citizen, I want to petition for my family to come to US. I have my parents and 1 brother 10 years old. Can I petition?

Asked over 1 year ago - Livonia, MI

My family lives in Greece. Can I petition for all of them at once? How long does the process take?

1. Kevin Lawrence Dixler

Pro

8

Answered . The situation causes complications. Your 10-year-old brother will not be able to immigrate with your parents. Your brother will be considered a fourth preference petition.

As a result, it will be difficult for your parents to leave him behind. This may cause you to waste a lot of money and experience frustration.

I strongly recommend an appointment with a competent and experienced immigration attorney. Your 10-year-old brother cannot follow to join with parents'immediate relative visa petitions.

This is general information, not legal advice, and does not create an attorney client relationship.
  2. Michael Hugh Carlin

3

2

Answered . If you are age 21 or older, then you can petition for your mother, your father, and your brother. Your mother and father would likely be able to enter the United States as permanent residents in less than 1 year. But unfortunately, your brother would need to wait a long time. It's impossible to predict exactly how long, but the best estimate at this time would be about 11-13 years.

President Obama has indicated a desire to make changes to immigration laws to try to fix the very long wait times for certain family members. At this time, we would need to wait and see if there are any changes that actually happen.

Michael Carlin
    Immigration Attorney

Law Office of Michael Carlin PLLC
    3365 Washtenaw Avenue, Suite 209
    Ann Arbor, Michigan 48104
    Phone: 734.369.3131
    Fax: 734.259.4801
    Website: mcarlinlaw.com Sitio en espaƱol: mcarlinlaw.com/es/
    Email: mike@mcarlinlaw.com

3. Rodrigo Ivan Canido

5

Answered . I agree with the attorney, there are different waiting times involved for your different family members that could make the process frustrating. However, there are always alternative visas you can look into to try to get them to come sooner. I recomend you contact an immigration attorney to see what might work best.

LORIC, Immigration Solutions

Rodrigo Ivan Canido
    Managing Attorney

3333 Bowers Ave, Suite 130
    Santa Clara, CA 95054
    Tel: 650-279-5933
    Email: rcanido@loric.net.in
    www.loric.net.in

4. Philip Alan Eichorn

4

Answered . Your parents will be able to come within 8-10 months from the initial filing if done correctly. Your siblings will have to wait many years. The difference is that parents are considered "immediate relatives" and there is no limit on the number of such visas. There is a limit on the number of visas for siblings.