As a trust beneficiary, do I have the right to know the trustee's fees?

Asked almost 3 years ago - San Francisco, CA

I was told by the attorney for the trustee/estate that we would know this when the estate has been completely administered. My brother and I feel that, by not knowing, we are writing a blank check every month. And despite a settlement agreement reached in November of 2010, the administering has dragged on. Seems it's to the advantage of both the trustee AND the attorney to continue to be paid, put us on the back burner, while we wait for the final disbursement.

1. Robert Paul Bergman

7

1

Best Answer

Answered . As a beneficiary of a trust in California, you are entitled to a number of things under the law, laid out in Probate Code Sections 16061 through 16069. Of importance to you is the requirement that the trustee provide an accounting to you, that provides the following information:

Probate Code Section 16062. (a) Except as otherwise provided in this section and in
    Section 16064, the trustee shall account at least annually, at the
    termination of the trust, and upon a change of trustee, to each
    beneficiary to whom income or principal is required or authorized in
    the trustee's discretion to be currently distributed.

Probate Code Section 16063. (a) An account furnished pursuant to Section 16062 shall
    contain the following information:
    (1) A statement of receipts and disbursements of principal and
    income that have occurred during the last complete fiscal year of the
    trust or since the last account.
    (2) A statement of the assets and liabilities of the trust as of
    the end of the last complete fiscal year of the trust or as of the
    end of the period covered by the account.
    (3) The trustee's compensation for the last complete fiscal year
    of the trust or since the last account.
    (4) The agents hired by the trustee, their relationship to the
    trustee, if any, and their compensation, for the last complete fiscal
    year of the trust or since the last account.
    (5) A statement that the recipient of the account may petition the
    court pursuant to Section 17200 to obtain a court review of the
    account and of the acts of the trustee.
    (6) A statement that claims against the trustee for breach of
    trust may not be made after the expiration of three years from the
    date the beneficiary receives an account or report disclosing facts
    giving rise to the claim.

Probate Code Secction 16064. The trustee is not required to account to a beneficiary as
    described in subdivision (a) of Section 16062, in any of the
    following circumstances:
    (a) To the extent the trust instrument waives the account, except
    that no waiver described in subdivision (e) of Section 16062 shall be
    valid or enforceable. Regardless of a waiver of accounting in the
    trust instrument, upon a showing that it is reasonably likely that a
    material breach of the trust has occurred, the court may compel the
    trustee to account.
    (b) As to a beneficiary who has waived in writing the right to an
    account. A waiver of rights under this subdivision may be withdrawn
    in writing at any time as to accounts for transactions occurring
    after the date of the written withdrawal. Regardless of a waiver of
    accounting by a beneficiary, upon a showing that is reasonably likely
    that a material breach of the trust has occurred, the court may
    compel the trustee to account.

So, as can be seen from the, you are entitled to at least an annual accounting unless the trust waives the need to provide a copy of the accounting. If it's been since November of 2010, then there should be an accounting from the last year, and that would show attorneys' fees and trustee's fees. If not, you do have the right to demand that an accounting be provided.

2. Rabeh M. A. Soofi

5

1

Answered . Unless the trust document explicitly says this, this is generally NOT the rule. As a beneficiary, the default rule is that you are entitled to an accounting, namely, statements of account. You need to ask them to provide you with monthly accounting statements, including all invoices and expenses paid by the trust thus far. The trust language will control, but if they fail to provide these, you can generally go to the court and ask that the trustee provide a formal accounting. Once the accounting is provided, that will set the grounds for your breach of fiduciary duty claims, if any exist. Depending on the value of the trust/estate, it is possible for the trustee and attorney to fritter away trust assets leaving less for the beneficiaries, because those are considered trust expenses paid out of the body of the trust. I think you should have an attorney review the trust document to advise you of your rights. If you would like to discuss whether it makes sense for you to pursue this matter, send me an email and we can discuss further off-line. Best of luck to you, Rabeh

3. Steven J. Fromm

2

1

Answered . Both attorneys offer sound advice. One additional point would be that the attorney and trustee should have an engagement letter that spells out how the attorney is to be compensated. A second point would be that if the trustee is not acting in the best interests of the beneficiaries then you may be able to have him or her removed for cause. For removal for cause, please see my article entitled Pennsylvania Probate: Removal of Personal Representative Under PA Estates and Fiduciary Code at the following link: http://www.sjfpc.com/Probate_Removal_Executor_T.... Even though this relates to PA law most states have similar rules. Get with an estate attorney of your own to review the situation to see what can be done.

Hope this helps.

Please remember to designate a best answer to your question.

Mr. Fromm is licensed to practice law throughout the state of PA with offices in Philadelphia and Montgomery Counties. He is authorized to handle IRS matters throughout the United States. His phone number is 215-735-2336 or his email address is sjfpc@comcast.net , his website is www.sjfpc.com. and his blog is

4. Charles Adam Shultz

Answered . You are absolutely entitled to know what is going on. The only issue that makes answer a little difficult is your statement regarding a settlement agreement. That could effect the rights of the parties.

Assuming the settlement agreement does not create issues, the trustee still has an affirmative obligation to keep you informed of the administration of the trust (which would include how much in attorneys fees and trustees compensation have been paid). In addition, not withstanding anything else, the trustee can be compelled to give you an account. If you request it in writing, if they have 60 days to provide it. If they do not, you can Petition the court.

PRACTICAL matter. The trustee and the trustee's attorney will charge the trust for preparing the account so you have to weigh the cost benefits of the request.

It sounds like you need to retain local counsel (jurisdiction is where the trust is administered), unless there have already been trust proceedings.