Skip to main content

As a permanent resident, how do I update my marital status with USCIS?

San Francisco, CA |

I am a permanent resident married to a US citizen. I wish to inform the USCIS of my marital status change, yet I found no information on the USCIS website/hotline for updating my status. Does the USCIS require permanent residents to inform them when they get married? If so, is there a way to do so online ?

Attorney Answers 2

  1. Best answer

    The USCIS does not require permanent residents to inform them when they get married or divorced.

  2. Good Day,

    If you got your LPR status through marriage then any change in your marital status may affect you in terms of when you can apply for citizenship. Apart from that there is no need to update USCIS.

    Note that this information is merely intended as background information and not to be taken as legal advice. Additionally no attorney-client relationship is hereby created.


    Hendrik Pretorius
    Attorney at Law
    Pretorius Law Firm
    Telephone: 408.510.2501
    Fax: 408.890.4796
    Skype: pretoriuslaw

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

An attorney can help.

Post a question and get free legal advice from attorneys.

Ask a Lawyer

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics