As a minor I was in a car wreck now an adult can I sue?

Asked about 2 years ago - Lodi, CA

It happened when I was 14 yrs. Now I am 45 yrs.

1. Alison Swicker Gokal

6

Answered . I'm sorry, but the statute of limitations in California is 2 years. Although you were only 14 at the time, you turned 18 over 27 years ago.

The purpose of this is to make sure the evidence is fresh, the injuries for which one is seeking recover are connected to the accident, and to allow the courts to not get tied up with aged disputes.

2. Ernie P Santamaria

Pro

6

Answered . I agree with Ms. Gokal.

As you a minor you could have brought a law suit through a guardian ad litem. Additionally, the statute of limitations (normally 2 years for personal injury in CA) was tolled, or delayed, and did not begin until you became a legal adult. (18 years of age).

From the day you turned 18, you had 2 years during which you could have brought a law suit. Your opportunity to bring a law suit expired 25 years ago when you turned 20.

3. Michael A Rabban

1

Answered . No. Sorry. Nice try though.