As a manager to a music artist, can a contract between the two parties hold up in court or do I need to involve an attorney??

Fort Myers, FL |

I found a managers contract online that I want to use and have my artist sign, Is it ok to use or do I have to have an attorney write up one ??

I agree with my colleague and add that without actually reviewing the contract you found online, its not possible to know if its sufficient for you.

The hiring of an attorney is an important decision that should not be based solely upon advertisements. Before you decide, ask us to send you free written information about our qualifications and experience. The information provided by this website is not intended, nor should it be construed, to be legal advice. Your use of this website, and/or the sending of information to the Fucillo Law Firm, P.L., does not establish an attorney/client relationship. Please do not send us any confidential or privileged information until such time that an actual attorney/client relationship is actually established.

2. If you don't mind making what could be an expensive mistake, then skip hiring an entertainment attorney and use the form you found online. I'd say at least 50% of my practice involves assisting people who tried to be their own lawyer, only to have it fall apart down the road for one reason or another. If you care about your career, your reputation, and your assets, then do the smart thing and find an entertainment-qualified attorney.

I am primarily a credit card defense lawyer, but I also handle a variety of other consumer issues and general civil litigation. I hope you found my answer helpful. If you did, please click "helpful" and/or "best answer," because doing so helps my Avvo rating. Please also understand that answering this question doesn't make me your lawyer, and my answer is not even an "initial consultation" with me. In answering your question(s), I am merely giving you VERY GENERAL ADVICE based upon your VERY GENERAL QUESTION. If I indicated that you need to see a lawyer personally, then PLEASE DO SO. Good luck to you!

3. I agree with my colleagues. Remember the old saying "He who represents himself, has a fool for a client". It really is true. When you represent yourself you are to close to the case and because of that more likely to make a mistake based on emotion instead of good legal reasoning. I would hire an attorney to assist you writing the contract if you want to be sure it is done right. Good luck.

Sincerely,
    B. Elaine Jones, Esq.

Small business topics