As a manager to a music artist, can a contract between the two parties hold up in court or do I need to involve an attorney??

Asked 3 months ago - Fort Myers, FL

I found a managers contract online that I want to use and have my artist sign, Is it ok to use or do I have to have an attorney write up one ??

1. Edward J. Fucillo

3

1

Best Answer

Answered . I agree with my colleague and add that without actually reviewing the contract you found online, its not possible to know if its sufficient for you.

2. Eugene P. Castagliuolo

3

1

Answered . If you don't mind making what could be an expensive mistake, then skip hiring an entertainment attorney and use the form you found online. I'd say at least 50% of my practice involves assisting people who tried to be their own lawyer, only to have it fall apart down the road for one reason or another. If you care about your career, your reputation, and your assets, then do the smart thing and find an entertainment-qualified attorney.

3. Betty Elaine Jones

1

Answered . I agree with my colleagues. Remember the old saying "He who represents himself, has a fool for a client". It really is true. When you represent yourself you are to close to the case and because of that more likely to make a mistake based on emotion instead of good legal reasoning. I would hire an attorney to assist you writing the contract if you want to be sure it is done right. Good luck.

Sincerely,
    B. Elaine Jones, Esq.