Skip to main content

As a landlord what is the next step if tenant does not leave on date stated on Unlawful Detainer Stipulation and Judgment?

Hawthorne, CA |

After a long time of going through the eviction process the tenant signed an unlawful detainer stipulation and judgment. This form states how much back rent they owe and the date and time in which they agreed to leave. The issue is that the tenant is very experienced with making every process longer and I do not trust them. What is the next step I should take if tenant does not leave on date stated, does not pay and damages the property?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Record the judgment and obtain possession with the police.

My name is Stephen R. Cohen and have practiced since 1974. I practice in Los Angeles and Orange County, CA. These answers do not create an attorney client relationship. My answers may offend I believe in telling the truth, I use common sense as well as the law. Other state's laws may differ.. There are a lot of really good attorneys on this site, I will do limited appearances which are preparation of court documents it is , less expensive. However generally I believe an attorney is better than none, but many will offer a free consultation and a face to face meeting generally will be better, I like my clients to write a short one page history of the fact and questions they have prior to meeting with them, so nothing is forgotten.


It would depend on what judgment says. Typically, if a tenant stays after the time allowed for in the Stipulation, you can generally apply for a writ of possession to have the Sheriff evict the tenant. If you represented yourself, you may want to hire an attorney to handle the process.

Landlord-tenant topics

Recommended articles about Landlord-tenant

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer