As a hospital nurse, I was injured then reinjured 7 months later while on the job.

Asked 12 months ago - Ukiah, CA

My second injury resulted in a fragmented disc herniation in lumbar spine. I am now left with serious and chronic pain issues and am unable to work. Work comp initially challenged my claim, saying the injury was caused at home and was pre-existing. I was sent to a medical examiner who determined the herniation was indeed caused while at work based on MRI's. Work comp has been covering a percentage of my income along with medical bills. It has been 21 months since the first injury. I have a SSDI legal advocate but am wondering if I should have private legal rep as well. I am not sure if work comp is working on my behalf or the hospitals. Any advice would be helpful.

Attorney answers (6)

  1. 5

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . As the other responses indicate, you need to retain a workers compensation attorney to assist you with you claim. Use the Find a Lawyer tab on Avvo to find workers compensation attorneys in the Ukiah area to consult with. Best of luck to you...

    THESE COMMENTS MUST NOT BE CONSIDERED LEGAL ADVICE. Comments made on websites such as are provided for information purposes only, and you should not base a decision to act or refrain from acting based upon this answer. The only way to determine how the law may apply to your particular situation is to consult with an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction. Answering this question does not create an attorney-client relationship or otherwise require further consultation. That relationship is established by the execution of a written agreement for legal services. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference.

  2. 5

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . One of the reasons you are having a problem appears to be lack of an attorney. Good luck.

    Personal injury cases only; I'm good at it; you be the Judge! All information provided is for informational and... more
  3. 5

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Workers Comp works on their own behalf. You have a serious injury. Your career is in jeopardy due to your medical condition. With this much at stake, you need an attorney fighting for you.

  4. 5

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You have a serious injury and you need help. You need to hire an experienced worker's compensation lawyer. Only he/she will be able to be the best person to protect your interest. You should check this web site or the local bar association for a lawyer.

  5. 2

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If your work-related injury was caused in a situation of dual capacity, i.e., where you were injured both as an employee and as a member of the public (as in a slip and fall injury in a public hallway) or as a victim of a non-employer's unlawfulness, you may have a tort claim needing a personal injury attorney who could also be your workers compensation attorney.

  6. 1

    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Now you have learned that retaining a lawyer is essential.

Related Topics

Personal injury

If you suffer a personal injury as the result of the actions or negligence of another, you may seek financial compensation for physical or emotional damages.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

38,072 answers this week

3,941 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

38,072 answers this week

3,941 attorneys answering