Professional
legal advice
for $99.

Avvo Instant
Talk to a lawyer

As a home improvement contractor can I sue a customer for harassment ?

Offensive language (castration gestures) , repeatedly called " a woman" "drama queen" " primadonna", told repeatedly to "jump out the window", to me and my helper. Tried and succeeded to have services and not pay for.

Jamaica, NY -

Steven Warren Smollens

Steven Warren Smollens

Real Estate Attorney - New York, NY

Dear contractor:

New York State does not recognize a cause of action ( that is a legal claim) for civil harassment.

Another way to sue based on your facts may be available but it would not be harassment.

If you are interested in bringing a lawsuit, consult with an attorney, who may discover that you have a recognized cause of action and that there is a chance for real money damages.

Michael C. Wild

Michael C. Wild

Real Estate Attorney - Williamsville, NY

As my colleague indicates, there is no civil cause of action for harassment. If the customer did not pay for your services, you may have a claim for payment under a different legal theory (your description is not clear if you got paid for your services).

This communication is intended only to provide general information. No attorney-client relationship is created.

Related Advice