As a home improvement contractor can I sue a customer for harassment ?

Asked over 1 year ago - Jamaica, NY

Offensive language (castration gestures) , repeatedly called " a woman" "drama queen" " primadonna", told repeatedly to "jump out the window", to me and my helper.
Tried and succeeded to have services and not pay for.

Is there a reason why nobody is answering ?

1. Steven Warren Smollens

Answered . Dear contractor:

New York State does not recognize a cause of action ( that is a legal claim) for civil harassment.

Another way to sue based on your facts may be available but it would not be harassment.

If you are interested in bringing a lawsuit, consult with an attorney, who may discover that you have a recognized cause of action and that there is a chance for real money damages.

2. Michael C. Wild

Answered . As my colleague indicates, there is no civil cause of action for harassment. If the customer did not pay for your services, you may have a claim for payment under a different legal theory (your description is not clear if you got paid for your services).

This communication is intended only to provide general information. No attorney-client relationship is created.