As a green Card holder who is petitioning for the spouse, how long on average should I wait until priority date becomes current?

Asked 8 months ago - Las Vegas, NV

I am a green card holder and I live in the states. I am petitioning for my spouse. My spouse is a citizen of Iran and so am I. I have noticed that there has been changes in the wait time of green card holders applying for spouse and the priority dates according to July, August and September 2013 visa bulletin was "Current" meaning no wait time? But It has stopped since September 2013. Is there any knowledge of future expected time? How long should I expect to wait from the time we file the petition until the day our priority date becomes current if we file within a month from now?

1. Carl Michael Shusterman

Pro

7

1

Answered . Probably about 3-6 months.

2. Francisco Fraerly Symphorien-Saavedra

Pro

5

1

Answered . 3-6 months but this will also depend on where your petition is processed. Just because the visa bulletin is current does not mean that the visa will be approved within that time frame. Some processing centers have a backlog for this type of petition.

3. Theodore John Murphy

Pro

5

1

Answered . The average waiting period has been about six months in the past. File as soon as you can to establish a priority date. You can speed the process up if you are able to naturalize ad become a US citizen.

4. Irina Alexander Vinogradsky

2

1

Answered . The sooner you file the less time you would need to wait. As you noticed the priority dates are changing and can go both ways. Good luck!

Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

• 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now