As a Defendant in a Consent Judgment, am I required by law to complete a Disclosure of Assets if the Plaintiff requests it?

Atlanta, GA |

Entering into a Consent Judgment with my homeowners association to pay outstanding dues. When they dropped off the agreement for me to sign, they included a Disclosure of Assets form. Am I required to give them all that info? The judgment amount is $7000.

If a judgment is entered against you, the plaintiff generally has a right to post-judgment discovery (incl. depositions) to try to find accounts and assets. The penalty for not responding is contempt and possible jail if it goes that far (rare, but it happens).

But that's only if I don't pay, right? I'm willing to sign the Consent Judgment Agreement and actually pay. But I don't have to disclose assets unless I didn't follow the agreement and was found in contempt and then they came after me. Is that correct? A Disclosure of Assets is not REQUIRED with a Consent Judgment Agreement. These aren't divorce proceedings. Honestly, I don't feel comfortable with my shady HOA having mine and my husbands checking, savings, car loan, employment, etc. information. He's not even on the deed or the mortgage.

Mr. Riddle is correct. You may wish to have an attorney review the Consent Judgment. If the consent judgment provides for payment over time, then the HOA would not be entitled to conduct discovery in aid of its judgment until you defaulted.

The answer given is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Dwight Bowen is a bankruptcy and consumer attorney and may be contacted at (404) 880-3310.

Recommended articles about Bankruptcy and debt