Skip to main content

As a beneficiary can I stop the rest of the beneficiaries and pr from pulling up to the deceased home with a uhaul and emptying

Fort Walton Beach, FL |
Filed under: Probate

My father had an inheritance . When he died he left an amount to my brother and I. But because his wife's name was on all accts. my fathers wishes were not respected. She (my stepmother) died 5 weeks later and I am listed along with her four children in her will. I am being left out of everything. Do I have rights?

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Best answer

    "She (my stepmother) died 5 weeks later and I am listed along with her four children in her will."

    Then you have standing to demand the probate of the estate and an accounting thereof. To do this, you would do well to have an attorney; the state and county bar associations for the location of your stepmother's estate can provide referrals.

    Act soon, before the entire estate is dissipated.

    The foregoing is for general information purposes and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.

  2. Joint accounts go to the survivor and then his wife could do as she pleases-sorry.

    The answer given does not imply that an attorney-client relationship has been established and your best course of action is to have legal representation in this matter.

  3. If everything was in jointly titled accounts, and your stepmother survived your father, her estate should be disposed of according to her wishes. You indicated that you are "listed" in her will. You should immediately consult a local probate attorney for an in depth analysis of your situation.

    ** LEGAL DISCLAIMER ** My response above is not legal advice and it does not establish an attoreny-client relationship. When responding to questions posted on Avvo, I provide a general purpose response based on California law as I am licensed in California. In reviewing my response, you are specifically advised that your use of, or reliance upon any response I provide is not advisable. I do not have all relevant background details or facts related to your issue / matter, thus I am not in a position to give you legal advice. Further, your review, use of, or reliance upon my response does not establish an attorney-client relationship between us nor does it qualify as a legal consultation for any purpose. For specific advice regarding your particular circumstances, you should consult and retain local counsel. Law Offices of Eric J. Gold Telephone: 818-279-2737 Email: service@egoldlaw.con

Wills and estates topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics