Skip to main content

Arrested in new york, convicted in west virginia, did house arrest and probation in New york, will a new york check show WV case

Bronx, NY |
Filed under: Criminal charges

i was apprehended in new york for a federal indictment in West Virginia, i plead guilty to the charge in West Virginia district, did house arrest and probation in new york. will a background check of new york state criminal records show the WV federal case? i am asking because the conviction was in july 2005, i have been working for over 9 years but lost job and need a new one so wondering if this will show up in background checks.

Attorney Answers 4

  1. Best answer

    If they do a nationwide search it will show. Even if limited to NY it still might show because I assume that NY Probation fingerprinted you.

    I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been handling criminal defense and personal injury cases for over 17 years. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails, is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

  2. A fingerprint check should turn up the Federal conviction. We live in the age of computers.

    Any response I provide is meant as a general view on the subject and is no way intended to be specific legal advice to any individual. If you wish specific advice, you should hire and consult with an attorney of your choosing.

  3. A federal conviction would show up on all national databases.

    If this answer was helpful please click that block. Answers in the forum are only general and it is always best to contact a criminal defense lawyer to discuss your case.

  4. Assume that it will. Even if by some miracle it didn't you are going to have to disclose it on job applications when they ask you if you have previously been convicted of a crime. Failure to do so may be a new crime depending on the application; you dont want new trouble.

    I am a former Brooklyn Criminal Court Deputy Bureau Chief with over 17 years experience specializing in handling criminal cases. All answers are for information purposes only. Answering this question or any future questions does not form any attorney-client relationship. Be mindful, that answers are limited by the limited facts presented by the questioner and are not meant to take the place of competent legal advice by an attorney fully informed of all the facts surrounding your case. Also, be aware that nothing posted in a public forum such as this can be deemed confidential or privileged communication.

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics