Arrested for possession of drugs please help.

Asked almost 2 years ago - Fort Myers, FL

I was arrested for the possession of 3 grams of weed and the possession of a pipe. The cop pulled me over because my tag was expired I not being the owner of the vehicle did not know that. In the car at that time I had 3 grams of marijuana and the cop asked if I was in possession of any and I said no this was all after the fact that he asked me to step out of my vehicle. he called for another cop while I waited outside my vehicle. I would like to know what would happen to me and what should i do?

1. Larry Thomas McMillan

9

Answered . The amount of marijuana recovered would support a charge for misdemeanor possession charge. If you are a first time offender, you may be eligible for drug court or other first time offender program. Call a few criminal defense attorneys in the Fort Myers area and you will get an idea of the process and probable outcome.

2. Joseph Cerino

Pro

6

Answered . I would need more facts about what happened during the traffic stop. There may be a possible Motion to Suppress the marijuana. If it's not suppressed, possession of marijuana is punishable by a year in jail, but you are probably looking at probation or a diversion program, depending on your prior record. Contact a local criminal defense attorney to discuss your case.

3. Aaron J. O'Brien

5

Answered . I agree with Mrs. McMillan and Cerino. Additionally, though I'd like to know where the contraband was found. I think that the amount being small and that you are not the owner of the vehicle are significant. I believe most people who borrow cars or ride as guests/passengers do not search all the compartments of a car for possible contraband. On the other hand, if it was in plain sight, that doesn't bode well for you.
    As the others mention, I recommend consulting with a local lawyer to discuss your case in more detail.

4. Scott Thomas Moorey

Pro

5

Answered . Contact a local criminal defense attorney for a free consultation.

Scott Moorey

5. Jonathan Hackworth

Pro

1

Answered . They will both be misdemeanor charges. It is not possible to tell you what to do without more details, that being said I strongly recommend you not posting additional details in a public forum like Avvo. You need to immediately retain a criminal defense attorney. My firm handles such matters and offers free case consultations in matters like you are facing. Our office number is 813-830-2261. Good luck.