Arrested for a DUI is it a good ideal to go to AA meeting

Asked about 1 year ago - Fontana, CA

My 1st court date is at the end of next month. So, Im wondering if it is a good ideal to start going to AA meeting as a way to get a plea deal. I was arrested after a officer pulled me over not being able to stay in my line, and he said that someone called 911 and thats why he stop me, and he didnt have a camera on his car. I did a field test and he didnt say if i passed, and then I took a field test and got a .103. The read my rights, and arrest me.
I told them that i only had 3 beers and eat a hour before. they asked me if i was driving the car and i decline to state about a hours after that they took my blood and then release me after my prints came back so i spent 2 days in jail I had no one in the car with me i wasnt speeding and no prior record.
will AA help me get a lesser sentence.

1. Anthony Michael Solis

Pro

25

1

Answered . It will really depend on your case. AA classes pre-arraignment can help in certain situation and certainly can't hurt you. This may be a different analysis if you have priors, in which case i would say AA would definitely help and some judges make AA attendance a condition of your release on bond. However, AA classes themselves won't help you get a lesser sentence. What will help is for you to get a good attorney in So. California (not sure where your case is) and fight the case by developing good evidence to weaken the prosecution's case. You should also immediately reserve the DMV hearing, if you haven't done so (must be done within 10 days of arrest, read the pink sheet the police gave you!) Best bet: contact an attorney ASAP to defend you.

2. Jasen Bodie Nielsen

Pro

25

Answered . AA attendance can help in certain cases. I recommend AA attendance to my clients when they have elevated alcohol levels (above .15 or .20, etc.), or prior offenses involving alcohol. Your alcohol level, while above the legal limit, is not elevated. If you don't have a history of prior alcohol relate offenses, I'm not sure how much it will benefit the outcome of your case. If you feel that AA will help you personally, by all means, attend. AA is free, and has made a difference in the lives of a number of my clients.

With all that being said, a DUI can have serious, long lasting consequences. I definitely suggest that you consult with and hire a locally experienced DUI attorney. Doing so will give you the best chance of beating your case and/or mitigating the charges and punishment. Best of luck.

Jasen Nielsen

3. Andrew Stephen Roberts

Pro

24

1

Answered . It certainly cannot hurt. This is a serious offense-as you know. Get an attorney. You must also deal with DMV .

Andrew Roberts

Andrew Roberts (818) 597-0633/ (805) 496-7777
  4. Wade Jonathan Skalsky

Pro

24

1

Answered . AA meetings can place you in a better light. It's best to coordinate what you do with your attorney. Find a lawyer you are comfortable with and work out a plan of what you are going to do before court to mitigate your situation. Good luck.

5. Matthew Murillo

Pro

24

Answered . Depending on all the details, AA meetings may or may not help reduce the charge. Alone, though, it won't do anything. What needs to be done is, you need to hire an attorney, have them investigate the case and find any legal support for a reduction of the charge.

Contact some local attorneys to discuss your case and figure out what else can be done. A .103 reading is not that high.

Also, if you have not done so already, contact the DMV within 10 days from the arrest to schedule your DMV Hearing. That will stop automatic license suspension and give your attorney a leg up in investigating your case before court begins.

6. Robert Edward Fenster

25

Answered . It can't hurt to go to AA to try to get a lesser penalty, but it would be a real good idea to go anyway.

7. Ethan Patrick Meaney

Pro

25

Answered . It certainly will not hurt.

8. Christopher Irvin Simser

24

Answered . As my colleagues suggest, it cannot hurt.

9. Ryan M. Wolfe

22

Answered . AA classes are often a requirement of imposed as part of probation in alcohol related matters like a DUI. Their purpose is to help individuals who have a problem and to help prevent future DUIs and other alcohol offenses. They are not intended to be punitive or even a bargaining chip, per se.

However, a defendant who has voluntarily enrolled in AA classes signals to the prosecutor and judge that he is taking the matter seriously and wants to change. If this is you, then by all means enroll. Even if you are not convinced you need the help it is still a showing of good faith that is unlikely to backfire. As many other attorneys have pointed out, it can't hurt.

That said, a DUI is a serious charge in a complicated area of law. You should hire counsel to guide you through your specific circumstances.

10. Grover Christopher Collins

Pro

22

Answered . Go to AA if you need help. Sometimes these types of classes will help you understand the consequences of drinking. Will it help with the DA's opinion? Maybe. Your BAC isn't extremely high. You need to consult an attorney and discuss possible punishments and preferences of the District Attorney's office. Good Luck!

11. John Arthur Daniels

15

1

Answered . Attending AA voluntarily might certainly help as it may make the judge more sympathetic to your case. At the very least, and probably even more importantly, your continued attendance at AA may address the root cause of your driving while intoxicated, especially if it is a habitual thing. So it might just actually prevent you from coming back on here and having to ask a question like this again. And do get an attorney to represent you at your upcoming court date. Best of luck.