Skip to main content

Arrested and charged with domestic violence. I asked my lawyer to show me the police evidence.

Seattle, WA |

He said he cannot because that will effect me at the court. He mentioned he can give me an idea. Also I had an injury to my eye, and I am the one who call 911. The fire department arrived to the scene but I was not provided any medical care and was not read of my rights until the was at the police station. will this effect the case?

Attorney Answers 4

  1. All of this is important to your case so sit down with your attorney and talk it out. Make sure he/she knows what you are thinking and then listen to his/her advice on what to do and how to do it. If you are not comfortable with your attorney you will have to hire a different one to handle your case. Good Luck

  2. As the client, you have the absolute right to review the evidence against you. There are court rules that may limit your ability to make copies.

    You have an attorney. That is the person with whom you should discuss your concerns about your case.

    If you do not think you can continue working with your current attorney, you should look into getting a new attorney.

  3. As you currently have an attorney, you should consult with him on these issues and how to best address your case. Different attorneys have different approaches on how best to prepare for a case, and it sounds as though your attorney has decided that sharing certain pieces of evidence will negatively effect you going forward. Without knowing your case, I can't comment on that any further. Generally speaking, you do have a right to review the evidence against you. If you do not agree with the manner in which your attorney is assisting you through the process, you can always consult with other private attorneys to see if there is a better fit out there.

    Jeff Holmes - Attorney at Law - - 360.975.9288. Disclaimer: This answer does not constitute legal advice. This information is based on general principles of law, as well as my general experience that may or may not relate to your specific situation. This information is not meant to take the place of actually consulting an Attorney in your jurisdiction. If you would like legal advice, I would recommend consulting an attorney in your locale.

  4. I cannot imagine a scenario where I keep anything from my client (other than the personal contact information of complaining and other witnesses, as required in California by Penal Code 1054.2). But I have not reviewed YOUR "discovery" (information about your case received from other sources, including the prosecutor in particular). I suppose that I could imagine a scenario where there would be SOMETHING that I would want my client to be able to honestly say on the witness stand that you had never before heard about in your life. The bottom line is, if you don't feel trust and confidence in your attorney, then you have a problem. You need to resolve by either working it out with your lawyer through a conversation in which you express your concerns and feelings, and then LISTEN to the plan, or work it out by hiring a new lawyer.

    This response is general information. I cannot, in these scenarios, have enough information to give legal advice. Nor do I represent any person simply because I answer a general legal information question, even if certain facts are discussed.

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics